Position: No Branch Librarian Positions open at this time
Branch Librarians are responsible for the operation of the local library branch. They perform a variety of clerical tasks of a responsible nature requiring knowledge of branch library procedures as established by the regional library headquarters. They use computer equipment for communications, searching, circulation functions, record keeping and reporting. They assist patrons in finding resources/information. They receive direction and training from their supervisor and work with considerable independence. Throughout their work, and particularly in serving the public, they are required to exercise judgment based on knowledge of the organization of the regional library and its policies and procedures. They supervise assistants and report to their branch supervisor or designate. They work in conjunction with their local library board, however they answer to their Southeast Regional Library supervisor.
- Carry out all aspects of prescribed circulation, and registration procedures using computer equipment.
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources and equipment.
- Shelve library materials and maintain orderly shelves and storage areas.
- Carry out procedures for the regular exchange and transfer of library resources.
- Under the direction of branch supervisor or designate, hire and supervise assistants.
- Supervise the use of the public library computers.
- Keep all necessary statistics and desk receipts and provide reports to HQ and/or the local library board as required.
- Supervise the use of the library space, equipment and furnishings.
- Maintain orderly and safe branch library service.
- Act as secretary (non-voting) of the local library board.
- Assist the local library board in organizing and running library programs within scheduled work times on a time availability basis.
- Assist the local library board in promoting the library within scheduled work times.
- In consultation with the local library board and as directed by HQ, select appropriate paperbacks and periodicals for the branch collection.
- Other duties as assigned by their branch supervisor or designate.
Grade XII or equivalent; accuracy in keeping records; good organizational skills; minimum typing ability of 30 wpm with a maximum error rate of 2%; functional literacy skills, interest in using library resources, along with demonstrated oral and written communication skills; good working knowledge of spelling, composition and arithmetic; ability to work independently; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, trustees, and the general public; maintain the confidence and support of the local library board; the ability to display judgment and tact when dealing with the general public; ability to operate library and computer equipment; physical fitness allowing the lifting and moving of boxes/bins of library materials (up to 50 pounds); must be bondable; ability and willingness to attend and participate in workshop inservice and training sessions.
Starting Salary $15.40 per hour.
Approximately hours per week.
NOTE: Library trustees (local and/or regional) are ineligible to hold this position.
Submit applications to:
Personnel and Community Services Manager
49 Bison Ave
Weyburn, SK. S4H 0H9